I have been giving some thought to why I do not blog more often. I have received many emails regarding my lack of blogging. I used to be obsessed with reading every one's blogs and wanted to be a writer of a fabulous blog. However, I have fallen off that and even have found that I do not read the blogs as much anymore. So today I decided to catch up on a couple of blogs. While reading some of my dearest friend's blogs, I realized something. Blogs are great for keeping in touch with someone who lives far away. But when you read a blog of a friend who lives less than 10 miles away to keep in touch, there is a problem. As I was reading these blogs I got more and more upset at the fact that I only live about 8 miles away and I did not even know some of these important things going on in their lives. I had to stop reading the blogs because I got angry. Then I had to stop and think "Why are you angry?". I am angry at myself for not being a better friend and knowing about these things that are going on in their lives. I am angry because I am hurt that I am not included in their lives as much anymore. I am angry because I miss my friends. I miss my old ward, I miss the familiar. It is hard to move and start new. I did not think it would be that different. It is not like we moved to another state. We did not even leave the county. But it is a different town, a different school, different neighborhood, different church building and ward. Might as well be a different world. It has been a good move for us as a family. The kids are doing really well in school and church. I absolutely love the home we live in. I love the neighborhood. I am very active in the schools. I serve on the PTA board at both schools. So why does it bother me to read about my friends lives in their blogs? Well I can say this, there used to be a time when a letter was addressed to just you. People used to take time to visit on the phone or in person. But now I think that blogging has taken the place of communicating to an individual person. It is more efficient to get it all said at one time. I guess I am too old school. This last Sunday our Bishop addressed a problem that is not just a problem in our ward. He said that many people are texting during classes and meetings. He asked that we teach our children to put away their phones and to not text during classes or meetings. My husband said that very day he had to have a girl put up her phone in his Sunday School class, because she was busy texting. The youth are texting during Mutual to each other in other rooms. I feel like blogging, texting, twittering or what ever you call it is taking the place of communicating face to face or making a phone call. I long for the good ole days when I would get a letter in the mail. My mother was a great letter writer. I have many letters from her telling me about her days and happenings in her life. I cherish those letters. They are in her handwriting, her thoughts and feelings that she wrote for just me. There is love in the words she took the time to write me. I miss her. I miss letter writing. I think I am going to start writing letters to my friends today. Not email, not blogging, but a true letter in my handwriting. Enough ranting for one day.
Friday, January 16, 2009
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Not even half way into the first month of the year and already I have broken my resolution to write in my blog once a week. Maybe if I write a couple of more blogs I can make up for my nonwriting. Or maybe I should rework the resolution. What if I say I will write 52 entries this year. That way I can try and write once a week, but if I end up writing more than once a week and not the next week, I can still keep my resolution. The basic reason for the resolution was to make me get into the habit of writing more often.
Now on to the real blog. I was reading a friend's blog and she was responding to another friend's blog of a tag game of sorts. So the way the tag works is this. First you pick your fourth picture from your fourth picture file. Then you google search your name with the word "needs" after it. You put the first ten responses in your blog. So here goes.
My picture is a picture of my husband and his brother, Joe. Joe was one of Jim's younger brother's. He passed away unexpectedly in December just before Christmas in 2002. (I think it was 2002) Anyway, this picture is of Jim and Joe shaking hands at a car wash. The story behind this is they were headed to their grandma's funeral in Utah, stopped in Colorado. Joe saw this tourist (who spoke German) and the tourist seemed lost. So Joe hooked the tourist up with Jim, who speaks German and they had a fine conversation. Why they had stopped at a car wash I do not know. Also why they took a picture of the event is beyond me as well. Probably Joe's idea, just to be funny. Because Joe was a fun guy. He always made me laugh. Also take note of my darling husband's hair color and quantity.
Now for the google search part of the tag.
1. Kathy needs to give herself more credit. Well, that is too true. I don't give myself enough credit for all the good I do. LOL :)
2. Kathy Needs. Singer / Songwriter
All original music written and performed by Kathy Needs. Her style is a mix of country and southern rock. Her heartfelt writings along with her sense of humor will keep your attention and leave you wanting more. A songwriter that has many songs in her portfolio for other artists who are looking for material to record. Well who knew? not me. I do like country music, so maybe I would like her stuff.
3. Kathy needs more attention. No doubt.
4. Kathy needs to be back on the red carpet. Did not know I had ever been there, but how fun would that be? I would love the opportunity to have people who would get me a fancy dress, do my hair and makeup for a night on the red carpet. whoo hoo!
5. Kathy needs to sue this company. Well I cannot think of any company that I need to sue right now. Can I sue WW for not helping me lose more weight? Really wish we had sued the lady who hit Jim on the motorcycle. That accident really messed up his knee and he hasn't been the same since.
6. Kathy don't need to be with anyone who looks like he takes more time in a mirror than she does. Well I guess I have that covered. Enough said.
7. Kathy needs a vacation, maybe Nevada. NO not Nevada. That is not a vacation. I hated living in Nevada and would never go there on vacation. My idea of a vacation would be a really nice hotel with room service, cable and a hot tub right now. Also would love an opportunity to go to Arizona to visit my pal Stef. Or even to Texas to see King Tut. I have so many ideas that are much better than Nevada!
8. Kathy needs your spooky stories. Well I do like a spooky story. But this Kathy lives in the UK and claims to be a clairvoyant. She wants people to share their stories with her. http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/Things-bump-villagesarticle-535233-details/article.html
9. Kathy needs advice. I will listen to any advice, not sure that I will take any. But right now I am open for ideas on how to get organized.
10. Kathy needs a lobotomy and therapy. Many people may agree with this.
11. (I am doing 11, because one of the Kathy needs is a person) Kathy needs help. I do need help, I do. They say the first step is admitting it.
Ok well here is my list. Tag you are it. Let me know if you do the game. It was actually kind of fun.
Also did Katherine needs:
1.Katherine needs to be talked with.
2. Katherine needs understanding.
3. Katherine needs some rules to follow.
4. Katherine needs another coat.
5. Katherine needs to learn how to pass notes.
6. Katherine needs her morning coffee. (well not coffee, but Mt. Dew)
7. Katherine needs to cover up her face with a halloween mask. Well that is just down right mean.
8. Katherine needs more dresses. (I can agree with this. You can never have too many dresses, unless they are ugly dresses.)
9. Katherine needs a new couch. ( I could use one for the den.)
10. Katherine needs discussion. (Nope I am done discussing.)