Tuesday, June 10, 2008

In the middle..........

Wow, it has been way too long since I have blogged. I did not realize it was so long. I have been so busy. I moved my family into a new home. Which we absolutely love!

I have been trying to keep up on my walking and I have been using Calorie Counter to watch my food intake. I have had so many things go on in the last few weeks. My children got out of school which totally threw my schedule out the window. With the move and no school, I was having a hard time getting to EQ. When EQ ended for that session I decided I needed to change it up and attend some night classes. Whew, I really dislike working out at night. I am so tired by then I have no energy. I do not know if I will adjust to this type of schedule. But it is what will work so I can be home with the kids when they are home. That is why I am a stay at home mom. But let me say that if I could get it together enough to find care for my youngest so I could work out during the day, that would definitely be my preference.

So I joined a night class that Mandy is teaching. It is pretty good and it is a different bunch of ladies. I will definitely get a good workout, but I miss my former EQ buddies. I am going to try and attend EQ classes now and then and pay as I go to them.

I went to a friends party the other evening. It was great to see people I haven't seen in awhile. I had a really good time. It was really nice to hear the compliments on how I look. I know I am skinnier, my clothes, weight and measurements are proof. But you know when you look in the mirror and still see the old fat lady that has always looked back at you, it is hard to remember how good you are doing. It has been tough. I am a person who does really well with a routine and I had gotten into a routine of EQ and working out all the time. But then with the move and the kids home, it wasn't working for me. I felt like a failure. I decided I needed to reevaluate ways to get what I want. You know, when you are used to doing for everybody else it is easy to just do for them and forget about you. That is the old me. This is where I usually give up, feeling like a failure and quit. Then I gain all the weight plus some back. Not this time. I decided I needed to find a way to make it work and get what I need/want and still fulfill my family's needs/wants. Mandy even talked to me about alternatives and thus the new schedule was born.

Right now, I feel much better about it. I can do this, even if I do not do it the same way I thought it had to be done in the beginning. I am in this for the long haul and there are always going to be complications and things to work out. I just need to remember that this is a life long change and I need to make it work forever, so here we go. On to the middle part of my journey, I think it just might be the most difficult yet. The part where the new has worn off, the weight is not dropping off as fast, I have to work harder for what I want and life gets in the way.

A Friend sent me an edirections that summed this up, and really hit home for me. I got this after I had made my own discovery. But it just reaffirmed for me that I was on the right path.
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED,
TRY SOMETHING ELSE

No, this doesn't mean give up. Quite the contrary, if what you're doing today to reach a wellness goal doesn't seem to be working for you, look at different ways to get where you want to go.

Sometimes you may feel stuck doing things the way you've always done them. By taking a few simple steps, you can make changes in your wellness improvement process.

1. Get more information. What's being said today about good nutrition? Do you need to exercise more than half an hour three days a week to see results? What does the research say about getting a good night's sleep?

2. Change your thinking. Stephen Covey (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People) said, "The way we see the problem is the problem." If you can't seem to change your thinking on your own, find someone who can help you see your situation with fresh eyes.


3. Take a break. Sometimes a short holiday away from your improvement journey will give you new perspective.


Challenge yourself this week. Look for one new piece of information about the "wellness lifestyle" every day.


No comments: